Heritage Walk - Rail Cut
This web page is a supplement to the interpretive panel on South Street. It lists the sources of panel content and provides source materials where available. It also provides additional background resources and covers additional themes where applicable. If you have any corrections or additions, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
These two photos downloaded from the "Vintage Halifax" Facebook page bring us back to the era of the steam locomotives:
- Development of the Halifax Railway Cut (1912-18) - Extracted from "South End Railway Cutting: Report No. 2 of the Area Studies Groups", Pierre Taschereau, Halifax Field Naturalists News, No. 27, Spring 1982.
- Development of the Halifax Railway Cut (1912-18) - Short Version
- "Halifax’s South End Railway Cut", by Barry Copp - extracted from March 2013 Griffin - houses demolished or relocated in the excavation of the rail cut
- Peter McGuigan has included a chapter on the construction of the rail cut and ocean terminals in his "Historic South End Halifax", available on the Amazon.ca and Chapters/Indigo websites. See Chapter 5: "The Industrial South End".
- The following two documents from 1945 complain in no uncertain terms about the smoke and noise from the steam locomotives suffered by the neighbourhoods surrounding the rail cut. They even go so far as to claim that the trains brought urban blight to an area in the south end. Reading these makes one wonder whether the trains were a significant deterrent to subdivision development along the Arm in the era prior to the introduction of less-intrusive diesel-electric locomotives.
- In the summer of 1964, the neighbourhoods along the South End rail cut were terrorized by a mentally-ill youth from Jollimore who emerged from the rail tracks between Pine Hilll Drive and Jubilee Road to shoot three young boys, two of them fatally. Frank Fillmore of the 4th Estate newspaper did extensive research on the tragedy and its aftermath. His “The Boy on a Bicycle” feature extends through six issues of the paper, starting with the 10 July 1969 Vol. 1 No. 7 edition
Natural History & Before the Rail Cut
- The following two items are extracted from "South End Railway Cutting: Report No. 2 of the Area Studies Groups", Pierre Taschereau, Halifax Field Naturalists News, No. 27, Spring 1982:
- Railway Cut Sections of Hopkins' 1878 Atlas of the City of Halifax - the CN alignment is superimposed and modern streets are placed in the background of the 1878 map
Thanks to all who contributed to the Halifax Urban Greenway Heritage Walk project:
- Leonard Preyra for his initial suggestion and ongoing encouragement thereafter
- The Northwest Arm Heritage Association for its letter of support for HUGA’s funding application to government
- Garry Shutlak at Nova Scotia Archives for his assistance in locating resource materials and for his review of panels content
- Rob, Peter and Leonard of Terra Marine Environmental Ltd. for the retrieval and placement of the stones forming the bases for the panel installations
- Claudia Mannion for the Halifax Urban Greenway Heritage Walk logo.
- Adam and Jenna at Eyecandy Signs for the design and production of the interpretive panels
- Nova Scotia Department of Communities, Culture and Heritage for its funding of 75 percent of project costs
- The Halifax Regional Trails Association for the awarding of the remaining 25 percent of project costs from its HRM capital allocation